Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cancer and Your Pet


Cancer and Your Pet
Originally uploaded by bwitched4you
My foster mom went out of town to visit family so she hasn't had time to do my blog but she has been reading one of the books Auntie Margie gave her. It has some good info. She told me mast cell tumors are the most common skin tumors in dogs. They also come in all sizes, as single or multiple tumors, and can show up anywhere on the body. Since any lump can be a mast cell tumor; it's important to always have it checked out by your vet and have them do a biopsy or aspiration of the lump. These lumps can sometimes change size. I remember my foster dad making the comment that he thought my lump had shrunk. Surgery is always recommended and they did an agressive surgery on me with a wide incision. My tumor came back a Grade 2 with pretty clean margins. My surgery spot is about all healed now so we are setting up an appointment with Dr. C in the next couple weeks so my foster parents can learn how to check my lymph nodes and discuss further treatment options if any like meds. My foster mom says all pet owners should pay attention to your pets by routinely checking their dog's skin everywhere, and not just in the areas you usually pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment